"For now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see" Neutral Milk Hotel.

Thursday 13 March 2014

Fog, work and owls

Work today, but I was up early in anticipation of a session on on the cliffs. I should have stayed in bed though, as after about 20 minutes, the fog rolled in, blotting out the bright morning sun and rapidly everything else: my birding was curtailed. Between 06:12 and 06:30 I'd had 9 Woodpigeons, 5 Redpolls, 5 alba Wagtails, 2 Linnets, 3 Greenfinches, 4 Siskins, a Chaffinch and a Goldfinch. I ventured out again in the late afternoon sun, crossing Redwell Marsh to Gore Point. 2 Chiffchaffs were in the swallows at the south end of Redwell and a Barn Owl hunted nearby. The dyke adjacent to the path was full of writhing toads and a Small Tortoiseshell flew west over the marsh. A Snipe flushed noisily from Lavender Marsh, where two Avocets fed unconcerned. As I watched a more distant Barn Owl hunting on the grazing marshes, I was surprised to see a Short-eared Owl at relatively close quarters in the forestry - the first here for several weeks. Scanning for other raptors, I picked up another owl heading west at great height. Whilst I certainly couldn't rule out a Long-eared Owl at that distance, this was more likely to have been another Short-eared.

No comments:

Post a Comment