"For now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see" Neutral Milk Hotel.

Thursday 16 January 2014

A bird, a butterfly, a mammal & a fungi!

Having worked till late last night & with 3 days guiding just ahead of me, I decided a few hours of peace on the bike around the lanes on to Holme would be good! 

The Downs were very quiet,  a single Jay, a few common birds & still no Great Spotted woodpecker! If the Downs were quiet then Green lane farmland was even quieter, save a Grey Squirrel just before the main road.

Thornham harbour produced little of excitement either, so on to Holmhurst track. I photographed some fungi, I have no idea but I know a man who will! (over to you Andy!)  Then along the sheltered wooded edge a Small Tortoishell flew by! 
I reached the grazing marsh & was met by a field full of Pink-footed Geese, in fact around 3000! The biggest number I think so far this winter. Despite searching I couldn't find anything too exciting amongst them. 

The return walk was good first a "pinging" from the reeds & then up popped a smart male Bearded Tit, followed by 3 Barn Owls hunting & then super views of a ringtail Hen harrier hunting the field just to the north, it also put up 4 Grey Partridge. 

Will pop a picture up of the fungi - soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment