"For now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see" Neutral Milk Hotel.

Saturday 11 April 2015

Abundant Butterflies

As yesterday, Friday 10th April, was such a sunny, warm day I decided to walk my butterfly transect at Ringstead Downs. As the farm track from Hunstanton is presently closed I entered the downs from the Ringstead village end. I knew I had chosen a good day as soon as I started walking along the path. At this east end of the downs I counted 22 individual butterflies.  Once inside the reserve at the west end I walked my transect route and counted another 20 butterflies.  My totals for the afternoon were:-
  Peacock  18,  Small Tortoiseshell  8,  Comma  6,  Brimstone  5,  Small White  4,  Orange Tip  1
The butterflies were making the most of a temperature of 20 degrees and sunny, sheltered locations.
The 3 White Park cattle currently in the reserve were also enjoying the good weather.  The south-facing slopes were covered in flowers of Ground-ivy and the Ash trees were just coming into flower.

Two of the Commas

A Small White feeding on Ground-ivy
 
The Orange Tip (though looking more like yellow tip!)

Ash just coming into flower
 
The 3 White Park cattle

No comments:

Post a Comment